Tourism Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Canada

US Visitor Information

The Canada / US border is reputed to be the friendliest border in the world. Below are a few guidelines to help make your crossing quick and easy.


Passports are required from all visitors to Canada. They are required to present a valid WHTI-compliant document, which include: Passports, U.S. Passport Cards, Enhanced Driver's Licenses, Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST). For more information on admissibility into Canada, read the fact sheet called Managing Access to Canada which is available on the Canada Border Services

Children: Canada Customs and Immigration officers are members of Child Find International. Anyone travelling with children not their own may be required to show written permission from the child's parent(s) and proper identification (birth certificate).

Other Countries: Visitors from countries other than the US require a valid passport and in some cases a visitor's visa. Visas are issued by Canadian Immigration offices, embassies and consulates.


As a rule, weapons are not allowed into Canada. However, you may bring a hunting rifle or shotgun into Ontario as a visitor for hunting or competition purposes if you are 18 years of age or older, plus 200 rounds of ammunition for hunting, or 1,500 rounds for use at a recognized meet.

Firearms manufactured as a fully automatic are prohibited entry, regardless of any conversion, and no firearms less than 66 cm (26 inches) in length or with a barrel less than 36 cm (182 inches) are allowed. All firearms must be declared and registered at first point of entry. guns can be registered at Canada Customs for a fee of $50.


Dogs and cats accompanying their owners from the U.S. must have current (within 36 months) rabies vaccination certificates. Owners from other countries who wish to bring their pets should contact the nearest Canadian consulate or embassy.


Pleasure craft may enter Canada by trailer or under their own power and stay for a period of up to 12 months. The required Entry Permit is obtainable from Customs at port-of-entry. All boats powered by motors 10 HP or over must be licensed and the license number clearly indicated on the bow of the vessel. Boat licenses from outside Ontario are acceptable.

For remote check-in: 1 888 CANPASS (226-7277)

Criminal Records

Individuals with criminal records wishing to enter Canada can apply for a waiver. This should be done 6 - 8 weeks in advance of the intended visit. It should be noted that Driving Under the Influence convictions are considered a criminal offense in Canada. Individuals with criminal records without waivers can be refused entry. Contact the nearest port of entry Canada Immigration office for more information.

Your Dollar Goes Further

US dollars and several foreign currencies enjoy a premium rate of exchange in Canada.

For more information

Canada Customs and Revenue Agency
Phone: 1 800 OCANADA (622-6232)

24 hour Customs Info at the Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario entry 1 705 941-3063

Great Lakes

Need More Info?

Tourism Sault Ste. Marie
(a division of SSMEDC)

99 Foster Drive
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
Canada P6A 5X6

Toll Free: (800) 461-6020
Telephone: (705) 759-5442
Fax: (705) 541-7371

Email Us

Book Rooms & Packages