This elegant house was built in 1814 for Charles Oakes Ermatinger, his Ojibway wife Mananowe (Charlotte), and their children.
During their stay in Sault Ste. Marie, this house served as the social centre for the immediate and surrounding communities. Many dinner parties, dances and voyageur rendez-vous' were held here. By 1826, the fur trade in the Algoma area had dropped dramatically. This coupled with family business in Montreal, was a deciding factor in the Ermatinger's decision to return to Montreal in 1828. The Historic Sites Board of the City of Sault Ste. Marie operates the Ermatinger Old Stone House.
831 Queen St. East
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario P6A 5N1